- How to recognize the beginning, ending, and some of the middle sounds of words - he is on his way to being phonetically aware!
- Utilize inventive spelling. Reading his first sentences brought such joy to this Momma's heart.
- Perfect drawing his train, and the amusement park that his train calls home.
- Make new friends. I noticed one little girl come and sit by him during summer school. It melted my heart to see her reach out to my frustrated son, and brought a smile to my face when he smiled at her.
- Manipulate adults. Yup, you read that right. He has learned how to manipulate the teachers around him to get what he wants. He keeps them on their toes.
- Play hookie from school - "Mom, I don't feel good." You ask him what hurts, he gives this pathetic look with those bright baby blue eyes, and we gave in. It doesn't help that his temperature always runs a little high in the morning so we never knew if he was faking. Now he goes to school until they call us!!
- Addition and subtraction - starts with pictures, now he uses numbers and his fingers!
Tuesday, June 11, 2013
I'm not sure how old I was when I first heard that quote from author Robert Fulghum. As my son finishes his Kindergarten year I stop and think what did he learn?