Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Behind the scenes - Yeh-shen: A Chinese Cinderella Story


Based on the recurrent theme of absent or uncaring father/ father figure, rivalry between women, the ability to overcome obstacles, rewards, magical assistance, and mythical elements,  Yeh-Shen is one of my favorite Cinderella versions to date!!!!  I remember as a child reading the story of a magical fish.  I adored reading that story over and over.  Not until I was an adult studying children’s literature did I learn that story was one of the first Cinderella stories ever written!


In discovering the history of Yeh-Shen I found a great website (http://chinesestoryonline.com/fairy-tale/56-chinese-cinderella.html)  that discusses Chinese stories.  Here I learned that in 850 A.D, during the Tang dynasty,  a famous poet, writer, and government official , Duan Cheng Shi, published a collection of stories he had gathered throughout his entire life.   In “Miscellaneous Morsels from Youyang”  Duan Cheng Shi retold the story of Ye Xian (also known as Yeh-Shen).  He apparently heard of this mythical legend from his servant Li Shi Yuan.  


What I find fascinating is how many of the elements from this story are found in the other versions of the story.  This version contains an evil stepmother and half-sister that resent her for her beauty, intelligence, and skills.  There is a benefactor that provides her with special shoes that then gains the attention of a young king.  She is the only one to fit in the shoes (since her feet are so small) and thus she marries the young king.  There are those that believe foot binding came into fashion because of this story, although the custom did not begin until a century later.  

For myself there are several aspects of the story that always caught my fancy.  I loved the idea that she gained comfort in talking to a beautiful fish.  I love my cat, Sparta.  I gain comfort in how she curls up on my hip at night to sleep.  When I am upset she senses my unease and won’t leave me alone, which inevitably helps me calm down.  There is nothing better than a warm body snuggled up to you letting you know they love you.  Okay, so a fish is not warm and couldn’t give Yeh-Shen physical comfort.  It DID provide her with a way to pour out her inner-most feelings!




When her stepmother catches the fish and serves it as supper my heart breaks for Yeh-Shen.  I understand her feelings of loss, and am overjoyed when she is told by a poor beggar man tells her,  "Don't cry", he said, "I know where the fish bones were buried. You go there, dig them out, keep them secretly. When you are in bad need, you could pray to the bones which would give you what you want. But memorize, don't be greedy, otherwise, you will be punished by the God."  The aspect of waste-not, want-not is something that is an important aspect of Chinese culture.

Although the ending is a bit of a let-down – she marries the king and her stepmother and sister are killed in a rock slide – it still stays with the theme that good overcomes evil!

Return tomorrow for a lesson on Chinese culture!!!

Resources:
Wu, H. & Han, R.  (2012) Chinese Cinderella Yeh-Xian Retrieved January 25, 2012 from
 http://chinesestoryonline.com/fairy-tale/56-chinese-cinderella.html

No comments:

Post a Comment