Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Alphabet Play With Stickers

The other day as I walked through the school supply section (this time of year I do it each time I'm at the store just hoping to find another treasure) I came across some alphabet stickers.  I knew I would find a treasure!!  I had several ideas in mind to use theses stickers - but the one I chose for Chase was the following:


 The day before I went through flashcards for the words - mom, dad, the, to, go, me, five (five was his request).  Before starting this activity I showed him the cards and was pleasantly surprised when he recalled all of them except the word the.  Pretty good!!!  I then placed the card in front of him, drew a line and told him he was going to find the letters for each word.

He then looked for the letter - this was a little difficult for him since he does struggle with finding things in cluttered spaces.  I would tell him the color of the letter and sometimes show him the row that the letter was found in.  Every once in a while his big brother walked by and just pointed out the letter to him.
 




I had to take the stickers out because they were rather flimsy.  I handed them to Chase and he very carefully put them on the line.



He was so proud of his work when he was done he proudly showed it off - as long as he could hide behind the paper.  For some reason he has been camera shy lately.  We then read through the words and I put the cards in front of him pointed to a word had him say the word and show me on his sticker page.  It was fun - but the best part was when HE decided to be the teacher!!!


Why was this activity such a good one for him?  It built upon the alphabetic principle and phonics instruction that I have been working on with him.  .

2 comments:

  1. What a great activity for him! He looks so proud of his work.
    Thanks for linking with us at No Ordinary Blog Hop. Keep it up. Every blessing, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. He loved the activity, but more the feeling of accomplishment when he finished doing it. I love how proud he gets! It is quite addictive!!

    ReplyDelete