Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What is Occupational Therapy?

I had a conversation this week with someone who was curious about Chase and his unique way of looking at things.  I told them about being excited about his upcoming Occupational Therapy visit.  He looked at me and said, "Occupational Therapy, isn't that for your husband?"  Obviously he was just as in the dark about the world of OT as I was up until a few years ago.

What is Occupational Therapy?

In a way it does have to do with occupations - it provides those with disabilities the skills needed for their most important job - that of life and living.  They provide life skills (learning how to eat, use buttons, write, ect), and for Chase it is working on building his independence, and his sensory issues.

What Does A Therapy Session Look Like?

I'm still not quite sure, to be honest.  One of the first things that the therapist stated when we sat down, was that she did not specialize in sensory integration as part of OT, however she did have a son with PDD-NOS and understood the path we were traveling.  We talked about how Chase would begin Kindergarten this year - and she recommended homeschooling (which I thought was interesting). 

She asked about what were his stimming  behaviors - his repetitive motions.  I told her about how Chase likes to become a train; how he lines up blocks, cars, etc.; wanting to watch the same types of programs.  She expressed the importance of blocking the stimming behavior.  When we are at the grocery store Chase "HAS" to be a train.  It is almost a necessity.  For the past several years I allowed it.  What harm does it do?  Well, it interferes with socialization, learning activities, and okay I'll say it - everyday living!  I've allowed it because stopping it causes meltdowns.  The therapist shared how often she would leave her shopping cart full in an aisle and walk out with her child.  even right now thinking about doing that causes me all sorts of anxiety.  Anxiety for causing him discomfort (even though it could be the best thing for him), anxiety for being embarrassed for carrying out a screaming child.  And others that I can't think of right now - but that is how I feel.  She recommended removing everything surrounding the stimming behavior.  That would mean getting rid of all blocks, trains, cars, and well, when you think about it Chase has an amazing ability of making EVERYTHING into a train - even cans, pieces of paper, pencils.  I totally see her point - I'm just wondering how to implement such a thing. She told me the best way to undertake this kind of venture was to replace the undesired behavior with new learning activities. 

She then did something AMAZING with Chase.  She had four pictures: San Diego Bridge, Tower of London, Eiffel Tower, and St. Louis Arch.  She showed him the pictures and named them off for him.  Shuffled the cards and named them again.  She repeated this process about five times, then placed the pictures in front of him.  She asked him what each one was, and I was amazed at how fast he came back with the correct answer. 

She then repeated the process with words - however they were a bit more complex and she suggested that we start off with easier words.  Perfect!!  I was planning on making flashcards with the Dolch Word List - and I can work with both kids on this.  What a wonderful way to mix OT and literacy!  Here is the first set of words I will be working on with both Chase and Emma:

A
and
big
can
for
go
here
I
in
is
it
me
said
the
to

Hmmmmm, when you look at those words you see how they can be made into little books!  I am going to totally do flashcards, create some little books to go along with them, and we are just going to go to town.

The last "learning" activity we covered was a number one.  She showed him 2-4 numbers on a card, she read the numbers off, put the card away and asked Chase to repeat the numbers.  She then would just name up to 4 numbers and having him retell the sequence.  He was AWESOME.  I loved how he would repeat each number after her under his breath and then just ramble them off.  Sigh!!!  How smart my boy is!

At the end she asked me to notice his eyes - these activities stimulated the visual sense - making his eyes focus and work together with his brain.

She then showed me how to do joint compresses to calm him when he has to sit quietly, they did the wheelbarrow, swung on a swing, went down the slide, and lay on a peanut shaped exercise ball.  She talked about the importance of these activities for aiding in proprioceptive input.

Hopes For Future Sessions

I had hoped for more of a sensory diet to help plan a schedule to help throughout the day - I plan on trying another OT to see if it is a better fit for what I am searching for.



1 comment:

  1. Your entire story is so powerful! I am so thankful to find you on NOBH. Reading your "About Us" as well as this post have put me in tears. What an amazing witness to so many others! As a former literacy teacher, you have spoken directly to my heart when it comes to wanting to help others who struggle to read...You are truly an inspiration, and your children are truly blessed to have you. I look so forward to reading more.
    Love and God Bless,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete