Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Only Noon? I Thought it Was Bedtime????

Chase is a light sleeper and often wakes up several times at night.  Today he woke up at 5:30am, when I took him into the living room I hear this sweet voice say,

 "Mommy, I waked up."

Sigh.  I sit down with the two of them and about shoot out of my chair when I hear,

"Is Daddy home yet?"

In the dark corner of the living room is my nine year old too.  Seriously?  Does anyone sleep around here????  I put on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and attempt to lie down on the couch - I'm NOT a morning person.  Chase comes and joins me - not an easy feat.  He is little but I'm a pretty good sized woman.  Emma decides that she wants to snuggle with Mommy too.  All three of us on the couch and they decide

 "I was here first."

 "No, I wath here firtht."

 No Mommy was here first - but that doesn't matter!  No one listens to Mommy.

By 7am I realize that I am up for the day - and my kids need to stop watching Disney Junior.  By nine am Donovan completed his summer bridge activities from Clever Dragons - a website that teaches and quizes math skills, grammar, typing, geography (in 2 days he has almost memorized all US states and is working on Europe), and so much more. He earns gold to spend on pets and his castle. He has always fought me on learning activities - and today he spent two hours learning.  I had to tell him it was time to get off, and he whined!!! . He doesn't complain about doing his work anymore.

Chase and I played his own computer learning game - school zone beginning sounds.   Afterward I did flashcards with the first five words I discussed on my previous post.  He did really well pointing to the words, but struggled with verbalizing - which goes back to his expressive and receptive language disorder.  After the first five words he looked at me and said, 

"I'm done, Mommy."


When Chase says he is done, he means it.  He wanted to write letters, so he worked on his handwriting.  I love what he did.   Emma made a chain with dominoes, until she started throwing a fit about something and I knew it was time for a nap.





While she took a nap I took the boys to the Library.  Last week we started reading the Araminta Spookie series by Angie Sage.  We finished reading My Haunted House (Review soon to follow) and we had to get another book in the series - Vampire Brat.   Got home and had some guests and while the adults chatted the kids painted lovely artwork all by 11:30am.  I remember thinking to myself after we cleaned up that it felt like we had a full day, and it was time for bed, not lunch!!!!  


I do have to say that my favorite part of the day had to be opening up Vampire Brat with Chase snuggled up on my lap and DD curled up on the bean bag.  I would come to the end of the chapter and both boys would ask for another chapter.  Chase finally fell asleep as I reached page 68  (partly due to the long day and running around at the amusement park). DD is not a fan of reading on his own, but I have learned that it is OKAY to read to him.  By reading to him he will get hooked on books and there will come a point where he won't want to wait until bedtime to pick up a good book.  Not only that but as he gets older he will remember spending the summer reading The Araminta Spookie series with his stepsmom and how it started off a lifelong love of reading.


6 comments:

  1. I can certainly relate to feeling like it's time for bed, not for lunch! But usually I just feel that way because I've spent the morning feeling so overwhelmed, not because I and the kids have accomplished so much! It sounds like you've got a routine that really works for you and your kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a routine - it just kind of happened like that this day. I am working on creating a routine - but sometimes it is hard, as I too end up feeling overwhelmed most days!!!

      Delete
  2. My son used to wake up pretty early in the morning. We have since become night owls, but not necessarily "light sleepers".

    Great post on your activities. I'm going to have to check out Clever Dragons. My son is a whiner too when it comes to education, but he sure does enjoy playing on the computer.

    Thank you for linking up at NOBH. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been moments when he complains about clever dragons - but that is just to complain because he is "learning" during his summer vacation. He thinks summer should be playing at the amusement park every day and watching tv!

      Delete
  3. I, too, had early risers. For a while, I went to the grocery store at 6 am so I could at least get SOMETHING accomplished before the baby had to go down for a nap again at 9. It's amazing how much you can get accomplished when you get an early start to the day. (this is tongue in cheek from someone who would have likes a little more sleep and a little less accomplished :) Visiting from the Be Not Weary blog early this Friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how much we get accomplished when we rise early - but I am so much a night owl!

      Delete