Friday, February 3, 2012

Golden Nuggets in Time

As a parent there are those times when we feel that our efforts to guide our children are not quite up to par.  Those moments crept up into my conscience briefly this past week or so, and today I had three wonderful teachers disabuse me of them!  Let me back up a bit (and if you knew me in real life you will agree that I often start a conversation in this same manner.  Often I think that in order for you to get where I am at, you need to know where I am coming from.  My poor husband just wants the meat, not the potatoes, gravy, salad, rolls, ect.  I'm sure there are others that feel the same way - I know some of you are shaking your heads in agreement right this very moment.  Quite confusing at times - but that is kind of how my brain works).   Anyways, back to the story at hand!

Yesterday I had time to kill between picking Chase up from preschool at noon and his session for The Little Gym at 5 pm.  I started out with an impromptu trip to the park.  It was so warm for the first of February, I had to take advantage of it.  It was a blast watching them run around, Emma fearlessly climbing the big slide and Chase doing it at his own cautious pace. I was sure they would fall asleep in the car after all their running around, but their stamina amazed me!



After running a few personal errands I still had time to kill before heading to The Little Gym.  Perfect time to head over to Barnes and Noble!  I was in search of Raisel's Riddle (I wanted my own personal copy) and The Irish Cinderlad by Shirley Climo.  I was to be disappointed on both fronts.  I did get to order Climo's book, but felt cheated out of a good treat!  Looks like I will be making my first Amazon.com purchase on our next payday (I know, I know!  First purchase????) I'm old school.  I love looking through the stacks, handling the stiff spines of brand new books, and smelling their unique scent.  I decided to find a new historical romance (I love reading romances about the Regency and Victorian Era's).  Cinderella must have been on my radar because as I was thumbing through  I found Princess Charming by Nicole Jordan.  I laughed when I read the blurb found on the back jacket:

In Nicole Jordan’s dazzling new Regency series, the scandalous Wilde cousins seek true love by imitating history’s legendary lovers . . . beginning with Ashton Wilde, Marquis of Beaufort, who takes on the daunting role of Prince Charming to an unlikely Cinderella.

I couldn't believe I had picked up an adult version of the Cinderella theme.  I then went in search of Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer and put it back reluctantly when I saw the price tag.  Hardback novels are not in our budget at the moment. 

I soon started to feel guilty for dragging my two small children around a bookstore (granted they did enjoy playing with the train table strategically placed in the children's book section) without getting them their own treat.  I headed to the educational stacks and picked up a coloring workbook to help develop fine motor control skills for Emma, and a puzzle/maze workbook for Chase to focus on letter recognition.  They immediately knew which one belonged to whom, and held on to them for dear life!!!! 

As we piled back into the car I realized I had spent nearly two hours in the bookstore and had five minutes to get us to Little Gym.  Luckily it was right around the corner and we were there right on time!  (Okay, right on our normal time - five minutes late.  Chase flew into the door, ripped off his socks and shoes, and dived into the room.  Oh how he looks forward to his Wednesday nights).  He totally worked on following directions and social spatial skills.  He only got one dirty look when he invaded another little girls space.  Gotta love him!!!  I took a thirty second video of him doing his circuit and about fell off my chair.  He stayed on task, followed directions almost to the tee (notice the moment when he cautiously climbs down onto the wedge instead of doing the tumble from the top of the block), and showed off what he has learned these last several months.  Made his momma so proud, and sad that Daddy had missed it in person (LOVE the camera for catching those golden nuggets in time!)



Okay, so now back to my premise!   

As a parent there are those times when we feel that our efforts to guide our children are not quite up to par.  Those moments crept up into my conscience briefly this past week or so, and today I had three wonderful teachers disabuse me of them!

I met with my sons special education team to review his Individualized Education Program for school.  As the teachers walked into the room I pulled out the books I purchased the night before (thus the long story, which now that I think about it,  it wasn't absolutely necessary for a back-story - see what I mean?  Weird how my brain works.  There is a purpose for sharing, even though at this moment it is hard to remember what that reason was).  Anyways, the principal looks at the kiddos and says, "I'm impressed, normally parents don't come prepared to keep their small children occupied while they are here.  That is what that bin over there is for."   She then pointed to a plastic bin full of toys.  I grinned, I just loved the ego boost.  

His regular education teacher watched as my two year old grabbed her crayon and held it in perfect handwriting form.  As the meeting progressed she commented, "It is great to see her holding her crayons like that.  Most kids her age hold their crayons in their fist.  Chase will hold it correctly for a good fifteen minutes before he reverts to holding his pencil in his fist, actually very similar to how your husband holds a pen."  I laughed.  Kind of funny to think that one of our children writes like her Momma, and one of them writes like his Da.  DD is left handed, so he has his own unique way of holding a pencil.

As the meeting progressed I became excited about the improvements that Chase has made in the past year.  He met several of his goals (he now knows his colors, basic shapes, and body parts), and is working steadily on others (he counts to 13, skips to 16, than 21 and back to fourteen on a consistent basis).  He still struggles, especially with social conversations and vocabulary, but to measure him from where he began - to today, there is such a marked improvement.  I am grateful for his teachers for all they have done for him (and am a little sad that Mia will not qualify to be placed in their capable hands next year). 

I got the biggest warm fuzzy when each of them at one point during the meeting said that they could tell I worked with him at home.  I later told the principal how grateful I was to hear that, since at times I do feel inadequate for helping Chase.  She looked stunned and said, "Genevieve, think about it.  You came to His meeting with stuff to occupy your children, which hardly ever happens.  You mentioned in the meeting that Gavin often wants to play The Very Hungry Caterpillar Game, and you do.  I know you read to your kids.  You are doing great with him!"  I so needed to hear that. 

I love my children.  I am so grateful for the opportunity God gave me to be their mother.  I look forward to using what I learned in my Masters Degree program to help all three of them become life-long learners, and lovers of the printed word!

8 comments:

  1. I want to read Cinder so bad! Maybe you should request it at the library

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. I'm sure there is a waiting list for it at the library. I did buy The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and will be reading it out loud to Scott while we are driving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are to often a society that points out the negatives, especially in dealing with parent teacher meetings, I am glad to hear that you were recognized for your hard work. Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love book stores but I usually spend too much so I don't go in them much preferring used book stores or my Kindle which I didn't think I would love, but I do. So glad your children are moving along in school as you had hoped. Thanks for following and I am now following back:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about going to a used book store to find the fairy tales I am looking for!

      Delete
  5. I love the Hunger Games. I have the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are doing a great work! Sometimes, our greatest critics are ourselves! You should be commended for raising fine, healthy children! And for giving them a happy childhood! That is priceless! Thank you for your visit. And for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear you had a good meeting. :)

    ReplyDelete