Friday, February 24, 2012

A Brother is a Friend God Gave You

I love that proverb.  The whole proverb says this:
“A brother is a friend God gave you; a friend is a brother your heart chose for you.” -Proverb
 I find that my children are both one to another!  My two little ones miss their older brother horrendously when he is away from us.  I often feel their pain when we go the two weeks between visitation.  The joy on all of their faces when DD walks into the house with his father is one that is beauteous. 

Tonight as I rounded the children up for our nightly routine I told DD to get off the computer to join us.  He immediately turned sullen.  I took a deep breath and told him that when we were done he could come back and play on the computer again (I wish he would read with as much gusto as he plays video games).  He huffed, but followed is younger siblings.

I chose to read The Rough-Face Girl by Rafe Martin tonight.  DD's attitude slowly began to melt, however Chase said "Mommy I don't like this book!"  I learned that when he doesn't like a book one day that doesn't mean if I read it tomorrow he will still dislike it, so I had DD go and get another one.  That one Chase also insisted "I don't like that book."  I looked at him and said, "Fine, YOU go choose a book."  He hopped off the bed and ran to the living room.  He came back with  Berenstain Bears and the Baby Sitter by Stan Berenstain.  DD looked at me and said, "I'm going to read it to them."  Who was I to stop him!!!

Chase got into it immediately, and I loved watching his expression.  Luckily I had the camera handy!  I love capturing these moments on film. 

It took Emma a bit to get out the wiggles, but soon she was enjoying the story as well.

I love moments like these.  To see them snuggled up together reading warms my heart.  It is truly wonderful to see them as the friends God meant them to be!

4 comments:

  1. I love these photo's, It is so fun to see the joy in Gavins face when Donovan is reading to them. Great job Donovan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these photos as well! Watching Gavin's smiles always makes me happy - even when he is doing something wrong if he gives me that smile I melt.

      Delete
  2. Precious, precious friends and siblings! So glad that you managed to get pictures of them. Such a treasure! Thank you for sharing on NOBH!

    ReplyDelete