Monday, February 6, 2012

On the Dashboard

A few years ago my husband and I started a new tradition for the two of us.  We spend quite a bit of time in the car, whether it be driving to pick up our oldest from his mom's house or taking our middle child to his doctor visits.  To pass the time more pleasantly we read.  Okay, he drives and I read.  So far we have read all of the books in the Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Heroes of Olympus, and The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riardon.  We have also read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.  On Wednesday I purchased a new book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. 

Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives.

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death – televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love
 When I told Scott that this would be our next read aloud book he groaned.  He has heard of the book, but had no interest.  I've heard only good things about the book from my sister and a friend of mine that writes Dead Trees and Silver Screens (a great blog if you are looking for reviews on  Young Adult novels - She teaches high school and has a unique perspective.) so I decided to go ahead and buy it.  I informed Scott that I was going to read it.  If looks could burn, I would have singed eyebrows!!!

Today as we headed into the city I pulled the book out.  Four chapters later (and several brief conversations about characterization, personification, and predictions) I asked him a question about what he thought was going to happen.  He looked at me and said, "I don't know, I guess you'll just have to continue reading it."  I smiled and said, "Oh, so you like it."  "Well, so far I've found the book very disturbing, but incredibly engaging."

What is there not to find disturbing.  The whole concept of the Capitol having all of the wealth of Panem (what is left of North America) and finding pleasure in forcing children to fight to the death from the twelve districts of Panem for their viewing pleasure. 

So far I find the book to be a page turner.  I can't wait for the next car ride so that I can take the book off the dashboard and open it up to read again.  I started highlighting different literary elements as I read, knowing that at some point I will be in the classroom and I would love to use something current to portray such topics such as personification, onomatopoeia's, characterization, descriptive language, ect.

I think the book opens up conversation about government, depression, the role of reality television in our society, and that is just the first four chapters.  I am curious about the rest of the series.  I think Collins does a fine job of forshadowing, and cliff hangers.  I wonder if some of the predictions my DH (Dear Husband) and I have made will pan out!  I guess tomorrow I will have to take the book off the dashboard in the car and read on.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!! I usually read the newspaper to my husband when on long trips but this is a much better idea:) I am going totalk to him and see if he will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on my ipod right now and can't wait to start it. Your post has just moved it up a few places on my to-read list. Thanks for sharing and for linking up through NOBH! Smiles -

    ReplyDelete