Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Alphabing, Alphabags, and Rosie's Walk

I have been working on creating activities to work on with the kiddos. I will be working on activities  that adapts a multicomponential instruction framework that  balances alphabetic instruction with other literacy skills. Children need to become familiar with the letter forms, names and corresponding sounds which are all part of alphabetic knowledge.  Piasta and Wagner’s (2010)  acknowledges the reciprocal relationship between literacy skills and  assert that children, such as my Chase, who already struggle with alphabetic knowledge will “fall further behind their peers in reading acquisition, leading to gaps in spelling, reading fluency, vocabulary and comprehension skills” (p. 8).  Although Emma-bear doesn't struggle (she knows her colors, shapes, can count to 15, and is starting to recognize letters) she would definitely benefit from the same activities. 

Alphabingo -
This is a wonderful game that improves phonological awareness.  There was a bit of preparation to get ready for the game.  I printed out the alphafriends alphabet cards and then Card 1, card 2, and card 3.  I wanted to find out where Snails and Puppy Dog Tails came across this wonderful bingo set.  They were famiEmmar to me, and after doing some searching I realized that they were the program by Houghton Mifflin.  Five years ago I had the opportunity to be an educational paraprofessional for a child.  The school district used the Alphafriends system to teach phonics.  My student ADORED the songs - I wonder how I as a mom can get a hold of this system (considering school districts pay a pretty penny.   Anyways, back to this week!!  I printed off the cards one in purple and one in green and one in pink.  I then cut out the letters and made a little pouch for storage.  I then cut out the cards and put them in plastic sleeves.  I altered the sleeves to fit the cards perfectly, using tape to fold the edges back.  Perfect for using our crayola dry erase crayons.

Here are some other links I found to use alphafriends, that I plan on using in the near future:

Alphabags - 
I came across this idea last year as I prepared for my final Master's project.  I originally tried it as the lesson plan suggests - but Chase was no where near ready for it, still isn't!  And neither is Emma-bear for that matter.  Instead I went around the house and collected toys that began with the letter t, c, and b.  They were the first ones that I found.  I then had Chase help me separate the toys into three bags - one bag for each letter. He loved it, and now feels ownership in the game.

Sight Words PowerPoint
I found a great book, Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins.  I love Rosie's Walk, and Chase still remembers it from a year ago.  Rosie is a Hen that goes on a walk, while she is trailed by a fox.  He loves how the fox gets outsmarted each time, and Rosie doesn't even realize it.  She blithely goes on!!!!  It is a board book, so I wonder if there is a longer version (since board books tend to be shortened a bit!). The vocabulary that I focused on incldued over, under, through, around, across, and back.  I created a PowerPoint presentation including the word and pictures of the kids going over, under, through, around, and across things.  I can't wait until next month when I become a premium member of  Heritage Makers and can make flip-books for vocabulary words that the kids can actually manipulate!




References
Piasta, S. B., Wagner, R,K., (2010).  Developing early literacy skills: A meta-analysis of alphabet learning and instruction.  Reading Research Quarterly 45(1) 8-38


No comments:

Post a Comment