Friday, June 29, 2012

Hope and Help

The temperatures outside on Thursday were phenomenal!  In that they were record breaking.  It reached 108 in our neck of the woods (interestingly this occurred throughout the country this week - weird!!)  It broke the record of 105 set in 1952.  Wow! 

Although we own amusement park passes I did not want to bring my children into the heat - even for a water park.  I decided to take them to see one of the free kids summer camp movies at our local Theater.  "Puss in Boots" happened to be the movie - and the kids stayed into it, up until the last 10 minutes.  Emma started to kick Chase, Chase said "I'm done with this movie, mom."  And I was like, "But I want to know if he gets the girl!!!"  Suffice it to say, we made it through.

It was only noon when we left, and I headed for Barnes and Noble so that I could order a book my sister recommended for me, What Your Explosive Child is Trying to Tell You. by Douglas A. Riley.  This book is geared towards the defiant children (Especially those with Oppositional Defiance Disorder), and at first I shook my head at it.  Chase isn't defiant, but he can be explosive.  I finally read the first chapter of the book and realized that the author included children with Sensory Processing Disorder.  My child has TERRIBLE meltdowns, and well, they can be downright explosive.  Of course the store didn't have it, I knew they wouldn't - but it was an excuse to sit down and peruse books while the kids played with the train table in the kids section.  (Yes, a train table.) 



I sat down with the one of only three books they had on hand addressing sensory issues.  They had The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder by Carol Stock Kranowitz, the companion book The Out-of Sync Child Has Fun, and Sensation Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder by Lucy Jane Miller.  I actually had Kranowitz first book in my purse, and carried a notebook so I could take notes while the kids were playing at the kids area in the center of the mall later.  The other book sits on my pile of books to be read.  I pulled out Miller's book - headed for the seat next to the train table and an hour later had read the first couple of chapters and skimmed through the first fourth of the book, taking notes as I went along. 

First and foremost - can I just tell you I LOVE this book, and am planning on seeing if it is available from the library before spending the $16.00 at the bookstore (although I would love to underline ideas and write in the margins in my own copy).  In her first chapter she mentions how parents of children with Sensory Processing Disorder want five outcomes from getting a diagnosis.  Three for their children and two for themselves.  I choked up when I read what she had to say.  It was totally me!

What do I want for Chase?
  1. I want him to learn how to participate with his peers, and to find acceptance.
  2. I want him to become aware of his sensory needs and learn how to meet those needs in a positive way.  
  3. He is a very confident little boy.  I've not ever heard him say he was stupid, our a failure - but I have heard his frustration when he say's "I can't" Or "I don't know how" Even when it is something as simple as walking to the front of the house when it is extremely hot outside, he is overstimulated, and overly tired.  I want him to keep his confidence and continue to have self-esteem!  I want him to always know he is special, unique, wonderful, smart, blah blah blah!!!!
What do I want for "us"
  1. I want a "toolbox"  A grab bag of tricks that I can pull out of when we are having those moments of atypical behavior.  I want to know that when he starts headbutting a nearby stranger who just happens to be standing too close to him in line at the fabric store, that that is the moment I can say "Hey, Chase, go push the wall and see if you can move it." I didn't know that was a technique I could do before reading something somewhere this week!).  I want to be able to pull out a hand-held gaming device for him when he is overstimulated so that he can refocus all of his attention. (I got this suggestion from Lucy Jane Miller's book as well.  Guess what we bought the very next day - his very own Leap Pad!! Not as cool as Daddy's Ipad, but does it really matter to Chase?).  I NEED THAT TOOLBOX.  Next week we have his first appointment set up with an occupational therapist to set up a sensory diet.
  2. Personal Validation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Let me repeat PERSONAL VALIDATION!  And I'm learning that it isn't a dirty word, and that I shouldn't be afraid to ask for it.  
And with that I will leave you for my next post - Personal Validation!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, momma. You have a lot to handle. My children (3) did not have ODD but did have the odd meltdown so I can understand (a bit).
    I like the idea of having a tool kit and I especially like the idea of working with your son's diet. I am a former high school teacher and the daughter in law of chiropractors, naturopaths and homeopaths (both inlaws practicse all 3 disciplines). I believe in the right diet because I've seen what the elimination of trigger foods and sensitivities can do for a child's ability to focus and behave.
    May God bless you for the great job you are doing raising your children and thanks for sharing with us at NOBH.

    ReplyDelete